- Interneurons form nodes within the neural circuits, enabling communication between sensory or motor neurons within the central nervous system.
- Visual processing in the retina of the human eye depends on coordinated signalling by interneurons.
- Interneurons are sometimes referred to as local interneurons and relay interneuron.
- Local interneurons have short axons and form circuits with nearby neurons to analyse small pieces of information.
- Relay interneurons have long axons and connect circuits of neurons in one region of the brain with those in other regions.
- The interaction between interneurons allows the brain to perform complex functions such as sense-making.