About electric charge
- Electric charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when it interacts with an electromagnetic field.
- An electric charge can be positive or negative. Like charges repel each other while opposite charges attract.
- An object without charge is termed neutral.
- When two objects with the same charge approach each other, they experience a repulsive force, causing them to move apart.
- If two objects with opposite charges are brought together, they encounter an attractive force that draws them closer.
- Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter, but it is not fully understood how it originates.
- It is believed that electric charge is related to the spin of subatomic particles.
- Electric charge is quantized, meaning it exists in discrete units, and the smallest unit of charge is carried by a single electron or proton.