- A rainbow spans the continuous range of spectral colours that make up the visible spectrum.
- The human eye is tuned to the visible spectrum and so to spectral colours between red and violet.
- ROYGBV are colours associated with a range of wavelengths rather than with unique values.
- The visible spectrum is the small band of wavelengths within the electromagnetic spectrum that corresponds with all the different colours we see in the world.
- The fact that we see the distinct bands of colour in a rainbow is an artefact of human colour vision.