In terms of tonal differences, pure white has the maximum brightness, and pure black the minimum brightness.
In terms of colour, a pure yellow may appear to be much brighter than a pure blue.
- Brightness is a colour coordinate in the HSB colour model.
- Brightness is the perception elicited by the luminance of a visual target.
- Brightness should not be confused with lightness.
- In general terms, brightness is an attribute of visual perception used to refer to whether one object appears to be radiating or reflecting more or less light than another.
- The field of photometry, the science of the measurement of light, recognises that the human eye is not equally sensitive to all wavelengths of visible light.