About the anatomy of neurons
- Neurons are the building blocks of the nervous system.
- A typical neuron consists of a cell body (soma), dendrites, and a single axon.
- Dendrites and axons form filamentous extensions of the soma.
- Dendrites typically branch profusely as they extend from the soma.
- An axon can be as long as a metre in length.
- At the farthest tip of the axon’s branches are axon terminals, where the neuron can transmit a signal across a synapse to another cell.
About neurons and the human retina